Thursday, February 1, 2007

Sirius Satellite Radio

The guys at 610 are gonna kill me for this, well, not kill, but you know what I mean, anyway, this one is about Sirius Radio, great shit it is. And anyway I still listen to 610 a lot too.

Anyway in the interest of full disclosure of conflict of interest, I must mention am both a subscriber and a shareholder. Granted, only 75 shares, (well, at one point 100, but after ditching it December 30 in order to take advantage of the tax break on capitol losses, I re-bought it before the February 1 time frame which would have made my transaction legal, when they announced they had finally gone into the black and turned a profit for the last quarter of 2006. Dammit. Live and learn I guess) but a shareholder nonetheless.

Let me tell you why it rocks: because, simply, it rocks. I mean, this morning, I was listening to Howard Stern, and planned on continuing listening to him as I drove to work. My model, the Starmate, has this feature which allows you to program in up to 30 artists, so when an artist you like comes on, it will beep, and you can tune to that station. So I get in the car, plug in the radio, turn it on, and it beeps, Velvet Underground, “Sister Ray.” Now I haven’t heard that horrible beautiful noise in some time, and it was just the thing to cut through my morning fog, so I listen for a bit, get lost driving for a bit, then it beeps again, Dinosaur Jr’s version of “Just Like Heaven.” Then “Heart of Gold.” Then “Bohemian Rhapsody,” followed by “More than a Feeling.” I actually parked and sat in the car for a few minutes to listen to the sound of Maryanne walkin’ awaaaaaaaaaaaaay…, a trick I learned from my pop.

Oh yeah, did I mention, all that stuff is commercial free? And they have every variety of music? From classical to bluegrass? And are now getting NASCAR? Not that I’m into any of that, but you might be.

So, don’t get XM ‘cause that company is apparently currently being run by what appears to be escapees from the orangutan cage at the Philadelphia Zoo, at least going by what I read in the papers.

If you like music, like I do, buy Sirius. Well worth the $13 / month subscription and the intial purchase of equipment.

Trust me.

No comments: